Saturday, November 12, 2011

Stories that Need to be Told

The Help

The Help (Paperback)


My neighbor lent me a book called The Help and I just finished reading it. We also saw the movie, and it was one of the best films I've ever seen. It had every element of a good story in it. And it is such an eye-opening story.

It's a story set in the deep south during the early 60's, when there was so much unrest in our country.

It's a story about ignorance and denial.

It's a story about courage. Courage to tell a story that needed to be told.

There were a lot of angry people because of the telling of the story, but it needed to be told. There were also a lot of freed people because of the telling of the story. The truth needed to come out. A story exposing realities can be mighty uncomfortable.
But there was freedom in the truth being told.

There are so many stories that need to be told. I have one. I hope I have the courage to tell it.


Note: I don't want to minimize that time in our history by calling it just "a story." It's so much more than a story -- it's our history, bad and good. I'm sure this book has served to validate some things that have been long denied and, for others, to see things from a different perspective, as sometimes only a story can accomplish. My hope is that we, including myself, take these lessons into account in our daily lives.


This post is not an advertisement or paid endorsement. Just my own opinion.

1 comment:

Corinne Rodrigues said...

I'm enjoying reading it, Jimi Ann. Although it doesn't pertain to the history of my country it certainly deals with prejudice which is alive and well all over the world - just in a different form :(

Labels